Wednesday, July 23, 2008

R.I.P. George Haines


Golf in Philadelphia has lost a friend.

I was saddened to read of the death last week of George E. Haines Jr. at the age of 64. His obituary in The Inquirer tells most of the story: his accomplishments as an amateur golfer and squash player, his years as a coach of both sports and four others at The Haverford School, where he was also a teacher. George was also the husband of Liz Haines, from Merion Golf Club, who has long been one of the top women players in this city.

George had been in declining health and I hadn't spoken to him for a while. But for years there, we spoke often -- or I should say mostly he spoke. I don't think I've ever had a more ardent and discerning reader than George.

For years before I actually met him, I would get long, detailed phone messages from him. Ever the coach and teacher, he would read every golf story I wrote and critique it in ways that none of my editors did, or could. Instead of As, Bs, or Cs, George would give me birdies, bogeys and pars, sprinkling in the occasional double-bogey or, if I was lucky, an eagle. Sometimes, even within a single story, I'd get a tap-in birdie and a double-bogey. Because the office voice mail system cuts off callers after one minute or so, George would occasionally leave a series of three, four, even five messages in a row to get everything off his chest. Believe me, I took those critiques to heart because I knew that George knew his golf and because I knew he was speaking from his heart.

Perhaps because his wife Liz is such a good player, George took particular interest in women's golf. When he felt The Inquirer hadn't given sufficient coverage to a women's tournament, be it a national women's amateur or a local girls' junior, I would get an earful.

There came a point when I didn't see George at local tournaments any more. Then his phone messages stopped. I knew he had health issues. When I bumped into Liz Haines at a tournament and inquired about George's health, her look of concern told me all I needed to know.

Golf in Philadelphia has lost a dear friend in George Haines and I have lost one of the most valued readers I've ever had.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Story!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Haines was my golf coach at Haverford School. I remember my freshman year at our first team meeting the rules he handed out ended with his most important charge - Stop and Smell the Roses!

Mr. Haines was an ace.

TED
HS Class of 1990

Anonymous said...

I had the privilege and pleasure of spending many Saturday and Sunday late afternoons with George on the driving range. We hit some shots, but mostly talked. He was a walking encyclopedia of golf, particularly amateur golf, and most especially women's amateur golf.

George always had time to try to help me, the inveterate, incurable high handicapper, with incisive comment, suggestions, and clear demonstrations. George was a great, great man and a friend that I dearly miss. My condolences to his lovely, terrific wife, Liz.

Charlie Quinn

Anonymous said...

I remember George from the 1967 Metropolitan Amateur at Plainfield CC in New Jersey. We played a practice round together and he was knowledgeable and entertaining and we shared much golf history. From then on I frequently recognized his name in various arenas within the golf world, especially in Philly. I really enjoyed knowing him. Byron Huff

lummot said...

A very interesting article on the topics. Please keep posting more on this. For more info/
Best Golf Drivers In 2018 – Top Picks And Reviews